Was there last saturday checking things out spent about 4 hours using jigs below a float as well as casting and bouncing the jigs off the bottom. About the only bite I got was frostbite for it was pretty windy and cold. There where a few other guys trying there luck for crappie as well with no results they even packed it in and left before I did.
Will be going down again this saturday weather is suppose to be really nice will see what happens then.
I have seen the Crappie bite here get tougher and tougher over the last few years. The carp bite has significantly increased. Not sure if there is a connection. The perch bite seems to be rather steady. All fishing I do there is along 472 near or under the bridges.
Crappie bite there went south right after the drought we had a few years back, it just has never returned I suspect the fish relocated somewhere else that may not be accessible from the bank, but I finally got a boat this year and will try to see if i can locate them at least I will be able to go to them since they dont want to come to me.
I fish the lower end most of the time down by the boat ramp have always had success there but has been really tough for the past year, seems I am never there when I have been told the bite was on, which I question for I spent allot of time there last year and never saw what you would call "the bite". Caught a few nice one's seen a few nice one's caught that was about the extent of the bite as I would call it.
But if you are not catching them from the bank that only means there has got to be some honey holes out there somewhere and the trick will be to find them cant wait for the ramp to open, I am going to find that honey hole. When I do you can count on that location being added to the GPS.
Just got back from the Octorora 3/6/09 and it was a wasted trip for the entire reservoir was covered with about a 1/4" to 1/2" of ice from the cold weather that we had all week. If the weather stays the way it is forecasted i would think most of the ice will be gone and will be fishable within the next day or two. I will give it to next weekend just to be on the safe side for it is an hour drive for me.